Calling scammers from Australia?

Hey all

I wanted to give a try wasting scammers’ time, but not sure where to find numbers where they’re trying to scam Aussies. I can call the US numbers with a number spoofer so it looks like I’m calling from the US, but because of the time difference, I’m always calling at odd hours.

I know the ATO (Australian tax office) scams are still going on, but I never personally get the calls on my number, and I haven’t found any numbers posted for these (I could be looking in the wrong place, not sure). I thought now would be a good time for these because it’s tax return time.

So, I guess I’m wondering if there are any fellow Aussies on here with access to scam numbers, or if there are scam call centres that are working the ‘odd’ hours I would be calling (i.e. right now), or any other tips for me…

Since my last post got nuked. Im assuming that mentioning other sites is a no.no…

Here is what i posted on the other site that shall not be named…

Obviously all +61 (drop the first 0) to all numbers

Claiming to be the ato and there is a warrant out for arrest. Please give them a call.

I’m also from Australia just wondering what calling site/software you are using for toll free calls and to spoof your number.

i was just going to go buy a new sim card just to register a phone number for scam baiting.

It’s possible to sign up for a TextNow account from Australia if you use a VPN to make it look like you’re from the US. Number spoofing is trickier - you’ll basically need a PBX server like Asterisk set up with a SIP trunk to talk to. A lot of the US based SIP providers aren’t too happy about signing people up from overseas, but I can give you some pointers if you want to give that a go.

TBH the simplest option is probably to sign up for a BobRTC account and use that.

Bear in mind whatever option you choose that almost all scam call centers that take inbound calls are targeting the US and Canada, and are therefore largely active between about 1AM and 8AM Australian Eastern Standard Time.