"Debt relief" robocalls

I decided to park this one here until I can sort out what’s going on, “with a little help from my friends.”
Received robocalls on both my cell and home phones this morning, from a toll-free number, about a “financial hardship loan program.” The calling number isn’t spoofed. (I’ll provide it later if anyone else thinks this is a scam operation.)
The first time I called it, I initially spoke to someone whose name I think was “Jihada.” She took some information (yes, I made up some lies), and transferred the call to “her expert.”
The “expert” said her name was Tonya, and that she worked for J.G. Wentworth, based in Pennsylvania. On a subsequent call to J.G. Wentworth, I was told they don’t have anyone by that name in their call center. I listened to the recording I made, but I’m not sure if she gave a surname.
My second call to the 833-number went to Zach (missed his last name, but I recorded that call, too) at “Accurate Financial.” I talked with various “agents” from that outfit at a couple of Los Angeles-area (951-) numbers in August. One of those numbers made at least one robocall to my cell phone, the other was reported on Robokiller. Calling either one gets a robovoice that says “Thank you for calling the [random state name] debt relief program.”
I think the loan program might be legit (mostly, anyway), but the guy I spoke with at J.G. Wentworth seemed surprised that anyone would be making cold (and illegal) robocalls on their behalf. I can’t seem to find out anything about “Accurate Financial.”

1 Like