Help with rental / email scammers

Hello all, long time fan of all scam baiting adventures. I must admit that I need some advice. See, something really irritated me the other day to the point of no return. I am determined to stop this man / group, or at least harass them and make their life a living hell.

Basically, my wife and I just moved to Hawaii. Apparently there are a TON of scams out here, trying to get young or naive military and civilian’s to fill out an application to rent a house the scammer has no right to rent. Imagine paying first month’s rent and a security deposit and showing up to your new home only to be greeted by the person living there looking at you like you have two heads. Sure, common sense goes a long way with these, but since my wife looked at and requested information on so many properties, we have noticed a trend. I have tried (unsuccessfully) to send .exe’s as well as harmless pop up scripts trying to scare / shame them, but due to gmail / yahoo blocking them it has been frustrating. What would you guys suggest be the best way to go about this project? We have already forwarded the information to the owner, as well as to local law enforcement, but I really want to play around with this guy / group until I start back work in September. This ploy at sympathy makes me sick, as I have lost friends myself in car accidents. Below is one of the emails he has sent. I have others, as well as additional phone numbers for this scam. I know this is 100% a scam due to my wife and I personally contacting the real owners through an official website (like rent.com / zillow / etc) and informing them to watch out.

real prince [email protected]
Sun, Aug 16, 10:23 PM (9 hours ago)
to me

Hello,

Glad to read from you, I am so excited to see your response regarding my Property, thank you for your interest in my Property, My Name is Sosa Ruben I am a self employed, I am a very easy going man, I don’t drink or smoke, Me and my wife just moved to (Illinois IL) last week, We lost our daughter and her husband in a car accident, Right now we are in (Illinois IL) to take care of my children. I want a good tenant who is going to take good care of my Property while am in Illinois, as the unit is still available for long and short term purpose, I want you to know that the Property is in a great location situated in the quiet and safe area and offers secure access. internet, cable, laundry in-suite, storage facilities, heat, water, electric, outdoor space and parking is included in the rent and pet are allowed.

Address: 2549 Myrtle Street, Urban Honolulu, HI 96816

Pets are Welcome!!!
                                              Rent: $1200
                                              Security Deposit: $1000
                                              Number Of Bedrooms: 3
                                              Number Of Bathrooms: 2
                                              Phone Number: (301) 966-3320

The Property Features*
• Playground• Air Conditioning
Other features: Oversized closets, Central heat and air, Laundry facility, Patio and balconies, On the bus line, Convenient to shopping and dining, Walk to school, Quiet, wooded and spacious location.
• High Speed Internet • In-Suite Laundry • Large in-suite storage • Cable
• Tenant Criteria: Smoking Outside, Pets allowed …
• Date Available: NOW
Its a spacious and lovely Property, Utilities are included and Pets are allowed. Kitchen completely equipped, Kettle - Toaster - Dishwasher - Freezer - Microwave - Oven - Dryer - Heat - Water -Washing Machine and Electric.I want you to note that I am a kind and honest man and also I spent a lot on my Property that I want to give you for rent, and I would want you to treat it as your own, I would like you to keep it tidy all the time I also want you to let me have trust in you as I always stand on my word, the rental fee per month including utilities for the whole of the Property. If you really want to rent the Property, you will need to provide the Rental Application Form below.

Available :Available Now for move in.

SO IF YOU ARE REALLY INTERESTED I WILL WANT YOU TO FILL THE RENT APPLICATION FORM BELOW:

FIRST NAME:?
MIDDLE NAME:
?
LAST NAME:?
DATE OF BIRTH:
?
PROFESSION:?
ARE YOU MARRIED:
?
PHONE:
(CELL)PHONE:?
(WORK)PHONE:
?
(HOME)PHONE:?
EMAIL:
?
KIDS_____ (YES/NO), HOW MANY________
PRESENT ADDRESS: _____________________
CITY: _______________
STATE:______________
ZIP CODE: ____________
WHY ARE YOU LEAVING YOUR CURRENT ADDRESS:?
IF THIS HOUSE IS BEING GIVEN TO YOU:
HOW LONG DO YOU INTEND STAYING:
?
WHEN DO YOU INTEND MOVING IN:
?
IF YOU HAVE A PET:
NAME OF PET:?
KIND OF PETS:
?
HABITS:
DO YOU SMOKE
__ ?
DO YOU DRINK______________?
DO YOU WORK LATE NIGHT____?.
HOW MUCH DO YOU HAVE AT HAND RIGHT NOW TO SECURE THE PROPERTY TODAY BEFORE YOU GET THE KEYS_____________?
REFERENCE:
NAME:?
TELEPHONE NUMBER:
?
RELATIONSHIP:__________?

I would be waiting to read from you with the below details, I can guarantee you that this is a great Property so looking forward to a future collaboration and friendship.

Feel free to contact me at +1(301) 966-3320

Sosa Ruben & Family

1 Like