How do scammers black out the screen and how to fight back

I am wondering how the scammers black out the screen on the VM and make it seem like the computer is updating. I was told that if I unplug and plug the internet connection, the black screen will go away but the scammer will also see that it no longer shows.

What I want is to either make it a lighter shade of get rid of it altogether so the scammer thinks I am looking at a black screen but instead, I can see what (s)he is doing.

Thanks

1 Like

The software updating screen is an image put on the screen by the connect wise control software, yet another reason why that particular software is so bad.

2 Likes

I don’t know of a way to stop it, but I have installed a keylogger on my VM so I can see what the scammers are typing while my screen is blocked.

Thanks. Based on your answer, I also checked Team Viewer documentation and see that they also have a “black remote screen” option too. They do say that if the remote computer does a CTRL ALT DELETE (or Mac equivalent), this will 1) remove the black screen on the remote computer and 2) lock the remote user’s input, and 3) enable remote input. This only works on Windows 8 and 10. However, both sides will get a popup “Black Screen Not Active”. [Maybe the scammer can still be convinced that you still see a black screen]. The documentation goes on to say that locking the Window’s session with this method is only available on Windows 8 and 10. I have yet to try and verify this however. If anyone tries it before I do, please be so kind enough to leave comments in this thread.

apparently, TeamViewer’s blank screen only affects the host, it doesn’t affect other TeamViewer connections to the same machine, so if you’re also running a TeamViewer connection to your own VM, that’s one way to know what they’re doing behind the curtain.

2 Likes

Kitboga has a way of seeing through the screen. If you ask him or ask around in his forum, they might be able to tell you how he does it. He has said it was given to him by a fan, not something he wrote, but you’d have to ask who actually created it.

1 Like

Someone else who can/has done this is “scambait sniper” - I’m not a fan of his, far to arrogant & erratic for me, although he really, really does know his stuff. He’s a big fan of KB & has said so many times. He has stated that only he & KB can make the black/blue screen cover transparent, so I suspect he’s the ‘fan’ KB spoke of.

Unlikely. The person who gave Kitboga the script is known to be female. Sniper may have written his own, though.

1 Like

Kitboga doesn’t really support or want to support other scambaiters. Some of it is he doesn’t want to support malicious scambaiters. To him scambaiting is morally ambiguous and he doesn’t want people to go too far. His fans treat him like the only legitimate scambaiter.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 46 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.