Not sure if this is the right place to ask but I'm stressin

Uhhhh this might be a weird place to ask (and hopefully not causing any problems) but I received a letter from one of my old universities that a bunch of of their shit was compromised and names and SS# were released? I can post a photo of the letter but it seems really weird? Just wanted professional opinions on this kind of stuff and y’all are really only the people that I know and trust to ask.

Mostly your SS# can get used to open credit accounts, get loans, and so on. Also tax fraud with the IRS.

You can file a fraud alert with the 3 credit bureaus if you’re worried.

There’s also Norton Life Lock…haha

1 Like

Are you worried this is a piece of scam mail? If so firstly I would call the university and make sure everything is legit and then so on after that try and lock everything down as best as you can.

Edit: Yes you can post an image of it just make sure to remove any personal info from the photo!

3 Likes

Thanks so much, I called them but they said it happened in 2021 (!!!) and they are now just sending out letters. I ended up just getting signed up to identity protection anyways and not the one they sent, thank you guys so so much

1 Like

If you received a letter from your former university informing you that a data breach may have compromised your personal information, such as your name and Social Security Number, it is important to take action. You should reach out to your former university directly to find out more information about the incident and understand what steps you can take to protect your identity. Additionally, you should consider taking extra precautionary measures, including monitoring your credit report, placing a fraud alert on your accounts, and setting up two-factor authentication services for all online accounts.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 46 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.