Other Programs used by scammers?

Kia Ora Whanau, what are the programs that scammers use on top of the usual TeamViewer, Anydesk and supremo?
To help clean up scammer victims PCs, current databases are a bit out of date on the usual logs.

Connectwise/Screenconnect whatever they’re calling it now.

Ultraviewer

1 Like

This is another of those times when someone else asked a question, and I learned something, both from the OP and the answer(s). :+1:
“You can observe a lot just by watching.”–Yogi Berra

2 Likes

I’ve found other programs like Assistant Utilities, which contains a keylogger and other functions that work alongside TeamViewer. It’s one thing to have a VM comprised, but an actual victim that’s their PC, and just can’t be easily restored, and scammers are changing tatics in some cases. I believe even they don’t know the full potential of applications they install.

I have some software on my system that lets me blacklist based on a digital signature. What’s the link for “Assistant Utilities”?

I can’t say it belongs to a website, or legimate programs for sale. althought there maybe more on XDA forums, there appear to be a script for a keylogger in it, as well as screen control. programs like that don’t tend to have above board views.
To be honest it may not of been the scammers that installed it, although it is the most likely source. Scam victims tend to be less tech savvy, and fall for other online threats.
Eduacation is the best way to help those that need it

1 Like

Education yes, but antivirus companies should be on the lookout for remote desktop software, especially screenconnect and connectwise

Kaspersky gets it. They blacklisted the remote desktop apps used by scammers.

1 Like

Kaspersky has been my goto Anti virus, they seem to be in the lead with a lot of the real dangers on the net. I would love to make, or find a script search, a bot that can read the script of a virus or damaging code, and compare it to multiple sources. places like of Github, which host valueable codes. Sometimes i feel like i’m on the loosing side, as it’s hard to find the real start for some software that is being used, and reading new codes added to the world each day is a massive task.

Kaspersky and bitdefender always have the highest positive identification rates.

Avira and avast used to be right there with them.

You still might want to add a whitelisting application to kaspersky or bitdefender though. Preferably a whitelisting application that gets updated regularly, so not comodo.