Scammers are some how able to call with legitimate numbers

Do I was called by my capital one credit card company’s phone number. Which I saved on my phone. But it was a scammer. Didn’t know they can do that. I called capital one and they verified it was not them because they would call to lower my interest rates unless I called them.

Just wanted to share, bd on the lookout.

P.s. luv the videos. :grin::+1:

2 Likes

Scammers can spoof real phone numbers unfortunately, the best way to check is to just call them back instead of having them call you.

3 Likes

Thx good to know. I will pass it along.

I’ll keep that in mind

A friend almost got caught by a scam where the scammers had information for his old credit card that got stolen and cancelled. The scammers made a fake credit card from the same bank as the cancelled card and and sent it to his address, with a sticker asking to call to verify/activate the credit card, but the phone number on the sticker was a scam center. They wanted to verify social security number, birth date, etc. He only got suspicious because his credit card was only a year old, and didn’t like they were asking for his social security number.

Always call the phone number listed on the back of your old credit card when you get a replacement card.

1 Like

Same here. I’ve been starting to get calls starting with the first few digits of my actual phone number. They all happened to be the SSA scammers. I’m not sure how they managed to spoof their number with a local number containing part of my phone number in theirs.

It’s literally one line of an Asterisk dial plan script. The reason they’re doing it is that many people now set their landline phone to block all out of area incoming calls.