Be wary of this scam - Don't get caught out

I’m not sure whether this is just a UK based scam or if it has already spread to other parts of the world, but you should be wary of this nonetheless.

The scam goes like this:
You get a robocall from an unknown number, an automated voice will ask you a question that will try and get you to say “yes”, but DO NOT say yes because it will be recorded by the scammers who will then use that recording to get authorisation for anything to do with your bank. So if your bank has an automated system that requires you to answer yes to confirm a transaction, or authorise something on your account, they will use that recording for that purpose and will most likely steal money and/or information which could lead to identity theft.

If you get a call like this, this, the best way to annoy them (because they will be listening) is to give an indirect answer, like “I am aware” or “I do not”, that will really get these chodes steamed.

Stay safe out there, and don’t get caught out, remember, if you don’t recognise it, do not give a click on it!

2 Likes

This has come here. Usually attached to a free gift card scam. They promise to give you $100 or something if you sign up for some cheap subscription which they say you can easily cancel. You have to speak to an automated system to authorize the transaction. They record your responses, sign you up for a subscription 10x more than what they claimed, and make it impossible to cancel. They use the recording as you said to authorize other things at your bank. It’s really evil.

3 Likes

That’s it, thanks for confirming, I couldn’t remember exactly what it was that they did but this is it. It really is evil, there are so many bad things they can do with the recording. It seems like a lot more people are becoming wary of these scams now because of what scambaiters like SR does, more people are spreading the word, unfortunately there will always be someone who is unaware and will get caught out by it but scambaiters like SR are definitely making a big difference.

Pakistani scammers use similar scheme to a home warranty contract in the USA.