Home Depot posers targeting people 50+ (medic alert device)

EDIT: Apparently I double-posted this. I’ll delete the other one. The number in question is (800) 430-8876. I called today, pressed 2, and got a recording about getting a free gift card. I was eventually connected to a woman who said the company was “Everything Breaks.” She asked for some information, and said she’d transfer my call, but she hung up on me. I think it was telling her that my car was a 1942 Hupmobile (“that’s my daily driver”) that tore it. :smiling_imp:
Calling back from the same (spoofed) number got “You have dialed a number that is not available from your calling area.”

Here’s what’s left of what I posted yesterday: A friend of mine posted on Facebook that she received via FedEx a package she hadn’t ordered. Inside was a small metal bracket. She also shared a post from Reddit where a woman reported getting a similar package, from a legit Home Depot warehouse, but with a toll-free number that wasn’t Home Depot. The real HD customer service rep said the sender is a reseller.
The woman on Reddit and my friend both said that calling the number gets a recording that asks the caller to press 1 if they’re over 50, or 2 if they’re under 50. Pressing 2 results in an immediate hangup, and the number gets blocked,
Pressing 1 goes to a “medical alert device service center.” Not playing along with the scam also results in the calling number being blocked.

I’m going to try it again, from a new numbr, and press 1 this time.

This post was not in the proper category, please make sure you select the proper category when posting. I have moved this topic for you.

Thanks for getting the post into the proper category. I wasn’t quite sure where to park it. I think it was initially a medical device/Medicare scam, where they would hang up on anyone who pressed 2, but has widened into the “gift card” scam for callers who are (or claim) they’re under age 50.
I have since called the number and pressed 1, and found a whole new level of scammery. (New to me, anyway.)
On that second try today, I got connected to the “medic alert device center” described above. I think the “agent” was an AI. From there I got transferred to some Medicare thing, which I think was also an AI. From there, I ended up talking to “Stacie,” who I’m pretty sure was human, and in India. That was the “red, white and blue Medeecare card” routine that I’ve heard before. I think she hung up on me when she decided she didn’t want me to spell the fake name I was using. Trying again with the same number, I got the “Number cannot be reached from your calling area” intercept.

EDIT: I had to try two different outgoing numbers, but I connected and got “Jessica,” the medic aleret AI voice. “She said” she couldn’t help me with a medic alert device, but that I was eligible for a gift card. “Let me transfer your call” seems to mean “Let me hang up on you.”