How to make a VM with Virtualbox

How big was the file?

the Microsoft-prepared VMs are supposed to be in the neighborhood of 6-7 GBs. I have had cases where my webbrowser for some reason will fail to download the file’s data and simply plop put a zero-byte file

That’s weird. You can try the ISO files but you have to set up and prepare everything yourself. The ISO files are smaller in size, too.

So if i install this on my main gaming rig, will it be safe from scammers as long as everything happens on VM? Don’t want to get my main computer F’ed up :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah should be all good, I also recommend using a vpn too though

1 Like

Any recommended vpn that is either free or not so expensive ? And also, what are you using to call them back?

Personally I recommend Private internet access

2 Likes

My VMware it’s my pc slow even when I call scammers it just stop and does nothing. It’s a windows 10 computer 4GB ram… Intel inside… At first I created a VMware with 1GB memory and 1 processor now I changed it to 2Gb memory 2 processor but it then continued freezing a little bit I will continue monitoring it

I recommend upgrading your VM to 4GB RAM (which means using another PC with more RAM). During scambaiting on my 8GB RAM PC and 4GB RAM VM I have to close all other apps especially Chrome as Chrome takes up a lot of my RAM lol

Yeah I never use Chrome but it’s better now because when I opened Chrome it will make everything to stop nowadays I use Firefox so everything is okay

I keep getting this error every time I try to create a virtual machine, doesn’t matter what OS. Using Virtual Box.

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Windows7.

Not in a hypervisor partition (HVP=0) (VERR_NEM_NOT_AVAILABLE).

AMD-V is disabled in the BIOS (or by the host OS) (VERR_SVM_DISABLED).

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}

“AMD-V is disabled in the BIOS (or by the host OS) (VERR_SVM_DISABLED).” You need to enable virtualization in your BIOS, look up your motherboard name along with “enable virtualization in bios”.

2 Likes

do u recommend any type of VM that will run fine on a computer with 4bg of RAM
because I have a scambait vm with a lot of addons and it wont let me use my host computer while using it and anytime I connect to anydesk either I’m connecting or the scammer is the vm starts to lag and shuts down

I recommend a computer with 8gb at least for a VM, if your hardware limited then their isnt much that you can do other than limiting the OS in the vm by loading less software on it or using a OS that is lighter on resource usage.

2 Likes

yeah I thought so… Thanks for still repliying though

What I’ve started to do though is grab another computer and let the scammer mess around on this computers VM and let it lag and shut off and afterwards they usually let me stay connected because they think its just lagging (but i can’t do this all of the time)

Hi guys!

OK so it has been a while since anyone has said anything in here. So, now in almost September of 2022, has anything changed as far as recommended VMs, VPNs, or Windows versions? Thanks!!

Not very much other than that Windows 11 exists. However, to install it you’ll either need to add a vTPM or virtual TPM, which can only be done on VMware, or know the Registry method to bypass the Windows 11 requirements on install. Though you can always stick with Windows 10 since it’s still in support and many still use it

As far as VPN’s go, i use P.I.A.
Their speeds are much better than a lot of the others and they’re the best provider imo.

Or if you don’t want to waste money on a VPN then a free proxy or proxychaining might be worth trying.
But generally the speeds are poor and finding active servers online can be tricky.

Hi Everyone,

I hope everyone is having fun stopping these scammers. I myself am new to this and really want to try to help the fight.
Firstly, I have a question that may or may not sound dumb, can I install the VM on an external hard drive, and if so, are the steps similar to these?

thank for everyones input. I really do appreciate it.

1 Like

Short answer, yes.
For best performance I’d recommend using a quality ssd like a Samsung QVO or EVO.
I’m using a 870 QVO 1TB for my primary drive & a Crucial BX500 240GB as a secondary.

1 Like