Scammer Acting As "My Boss" - Buy Amazon Gift Cards as a gift for Staff

Scammer number: N/A
Scammer email: [email protected]
I’ve dicked with these assholes before - anyone want to take a stab at them?

Any other scammer information:
Sent: Monday, April 24, 2023 10:43 AM
To: [REDACTED]
Subject: [REDACTED]

Hi, are you free?
Best,
“MY BOSS”

ME: Yea what is up?

“BOSS”: I’m heading into a meeting now with no calls so I need you to help me handle a task discreetly and it will be a great honor to you .
FOOTNOTE: My boss had a stroke in October and his whole left side is barely useful. There is no way he is typing that much with one hand

ME: You have a meeting today? I thought that was tomorrow? What do you need?

BOSS: Yes, here’s what I want you to do for me because I’m a little busy right now. I have been working on incentives and I aimed at surprising some of our hardworking staff with gift cards today. This should be Confidential until they all have the gift cards as it’s a surprise and you will keep one for yourself too. Can you get this done? and how soon?

ME: Gift cards?

BOSS: Yes, I need you to help me purchase 5qty of Amazon gift card with $100 value on each (total $500) you should get them at any local store around you. After you get them scratch the silver panel at the back and take a clear picture of each card and send it to me on here so that I can easily get them sent to each staff i want to send them, I am gonna reimburse you… Please keep the physical cards and receipt for reference purposes.

ME: Can’t I just use the company credit card?

BOSS: Less I forget you can use it also. I will be looking forward to them. Thanks
(WHO TALKS LIKE THAT?)

Me: OK let me run over to the Wal-mart
(I ran to our other location to do a pickup and drop off)

BOSS 1:09 PM: Did you get the cards yet?
BOSS 1:46 PM: ??

ME: No, I had to run to our other location. What do you need me to do again, I lost the email.

BOSS: Alright, after you get them scratch the silver panel at the back and take a clear picture of each card and send it to me on here so that I can easily get them sent to each staff i want to send them. Thanks

ME: OK I got them. Why don’t you just tell me which employees you want to give them to, and I’ll deliver them in person since you are in a meeting.

BOSS: I want it to be a surprise from me that is why I had to create this email before I left home for the meeting. I will be looking forward to them on here. Thanks

ME: I don’t know how to get the pictures off my old flip phone to my computer. Can’t I just leave them in your office?

BOSS: I haven’t gotten them yet?

ME: Didn’t you read my last email?
" I don’t know how to get the pictures off my old flip phone to my computer. Can’t I just leave them in your office?"

BOSS: I don’t advise the idea of leaving it in the office because I want the surprise to be done today and I want it to be through this email I just created… you can send them through the phone to this email. Thanks
Completely missing the flip phone comment. It was the end of the work day and i decided to give him what he wanted.

ME:

Photoshopped fake number on this pic

BOSS: Got 1 yet. Thanks

ME (THE FOLLOWING DAY): Do you want the other 4?

BOSS: Lol :laughing:

ME: Nice try benchode!
Then I reported the email to Gmail

1 Like

Someone tried this on me a couple months into my new job. I have never met our CEO, and there is no reason for him to text me, but they tried it.