Scammer claiming to be Windows Technical Support called my real phone

Just got a call from a “Windows Technician” 315-037-3214

number fixed, mistyped it the first time

they had my real name and email address and called my real phone number

this is what they told me to do:

run cmd and type assoc

• where they told me that ‘the longest line’ was my unique computer ID and they would read it to me to confirm it was my computer that was hacked (“ZFSendToTarget=CLSID{888DCA60-FC0A-11CF-8F0F-00C04FD7D062}”)

run msconfig

• where they told me all of those microsoft services that were stopped were being stopped by hackers and that when all the microsoft services were stopped my computer would be dead
  • had me close it

run netstat

• where they told me it was showing my local ip for my network and the foreign ip ‘from the hacker’s computer that was connected to my computer’
  • it closed by itself mutiple times so they had me open it over and over and said a hacker was closing it so I wouldn’t see their ips

run hh h

• where they told me to use jump to url to go to www.helpme.net
  • had me close it

run GoToAssist Remote Support

which I did not do because I don’t have a VM… senior tech guy took over to try to convince me, asked me what I saw on my screen, I said that their other guy was trying to get me to open a file from a site that I wasn’t sure was a secure site and they hung up on me

at least I wasted an hour of their time

=]

Good on you for wasting an hour of their time! LOL Running the netstat command in the Command Prompt, that will pull up your computer’s IP address, but the “Foreign Addresses”, of course, does not mean that your computer has been hacked and unless I’m mistaken, the Foreign Addresses is just websites that are communicating with your PC……… I actually called up Microsoft a few days ago and verified that with them.

1 Like

yeah there was obviously nothing suspicious on my computer, weird how they had my name, email & phone number… I wonder where they got it =/

@xDawnxAngelx I have no clue how they got your info……… BUT, all of that info does circulate around the Internet. I’ve had a new phone number for a little over a week now and I’m constantly getting calls from scammers. I’ve had one SS scammer, one auto warranty, one cruise vacation scam, and the rest have been pretty much job scams. I messed with the SS scammer for at least 30 minutes, pretending to be an old lady, (I’m actually a 35 year old guy) and I messed with the auto warranty scammer for a while and wasted their time too. LOL

1 Like

I don’t have a VM set up or anything, didn’t even expect a scammer to call. maybe I’ll get into scam baiting, every time they call me I try to waste as much of their time as possible. I’ve put them on hold for 10 minutes at a time, talked them into talking more… I’ve actually walked out to my car to ‘get my wallet’ too lol

LOL That’s cool. From what I’ve gathered from ScammerRevolt’s vids, plus another scam baiter that I watch on YouTube, the main goal is wasting scammers’ time. I’m not sure if I’ll be able to scam bait using my VM, because it runs super slow…… I don’t have the resources, (RAM and CPU) sufficient enough from my host Windows 10 computer to be able to efficiently run the VM. But, I really wouldn’t care if a scammer remoted into my Windows 10 computer because I know how to reformat my hard drive, reinstall Windows 10 and I have everything backed up to my external hard drive.

yeah, wasting their time is stopping them from scamming other people within that time period, so the longer you spend on the phone, the longer until they get someone else’s info… it’s a worthy cause =]

I think my PC would run a VM, I just haven’t looked into it yet… also not sure what program to use to call… excuse my noobishness lol I was thinking I’d try FireRTC but it looks like it got shut down so idk now

I hear ya……… I have a hard time getting through to scammers myself, but I was able to contact a couple of tech support scammers, but they wanted me to pay upfront before remoting into my computer. I get most of the numbers from this forum, also I’ve tried to get the scammer pop-ups, but for the life of me, I can’t. ScammerRevolts makes it seem easy, but he knows what he’s doing and he’s been doing it for long time. LOL Hey, I’m a noob to this too, so don’t worry about it. :wink:

1 Like

yeah I’ve been hanging out in his discord since yesterday, there are some nice people in here =] I don’t want the scammers to remote control my PC, too much of a hassle to fix it lol don’t want to risk it

LOL I can understand that. But I’ve been knowing how to reformat and reinstall Windows since Windows XP and before Windows COUGH Vista. LOL

I Know The Feeling. I Can’t Seem To Find ANY Popups!:frowning::frowning:

The VM I Use Is Called: VirtualBox From Oracle. Try That One It’s A FREE Download.

@KeyMaster1 Yes, that’s the VM I have installed. It’s just super slow because my host machine doesn’t have the sufficient resources to run the VM efficiently.

You Can Also Try: TextNow. It Is A FREE Application You At The Google Play Store. First Generate a Few Email Addresses, I Have (5) Five Of Them, Then Get The App & Get A Free Telephone Number For Each. You Can Then Make All he Free Toll Free, US & Canadian Calls You Want . It Will Let You Chose The Area Code You Wish To Have A Number From. Make Fake Identities, Names, For Each Of The Numbers You Get. Give That A Try. You Will Also Be Able To Receive Calls To That Telephone Number You Get From The App. That Is When You Have Either Your Computer & Even Your Smart Phone Up & Running. You Can Keep A Spare Cheap Smart Phone Turned On & The App Up Off To The Side. All You Have To Do Is Keep It Connected To The Internet Via WiFi. I Use It As My Spare House Phone. The App Will Allow You To Have The Calls Forwarded Plus Voice Mail For That Number. Something To Consider.

I Ment Keep Keep The Application On The Smart Phone/Computer Up & Running As Well.

From what you wrote in chat, your PC seems to be good enough to run it. Unless its like 15 years old.

@Snipez, not sure if your post was meant for me or xDawnxAngelx……… But, my laptop is only 2 years old, it has a dual-core processor and 4 GB of RAM. I have the VM running with the maximum amount of CPU and RAM that it will allow and it’s still really slow because it takes up my host machine’s resources.

Yeah theres no way you would get that to run on a dual core laptop cpu. Even running on windows xp, it would probably be too slow.