Very New At This

I apologize in advance if this is in the wrong section. I downloaded both VMware and VirtualBox. I have only used the Virtual Box so far. I have a Windows 8 set on it and it seems to run very slow. My main questions are:

1. Should I use a Windows 10 iso instead or is there a way to speed up the Windows 8?
  2. How do you get all the icons on the screen? Do you have to actually download the programs?
  3. If a scammer messes with and deletes stuff on it, is there a way to reset it back to how it was?

Again, sorry if it’s in the wrong section. I’m kind of new to forums.
Thanks in advance!

you should use windows 10 (syskey was removed on windows 10)
you have to actually download the programs to get the icons on your VM.
idk if you can reset it or not just for safety though don’t put anything important on your VM.
I use a linux VM installed on a Chromebook in developer mode. to do that press esc f3 (refresh) and the power button from there press ctrl+d and wait a few minutes. (for dev mode on Chromebook)

You can create snapshots in VirtualBox that you can restore from.

1 Like

thanks for the info I didn’t know about snapshots on VirtualBox.

I’m a little late to the post here but I’ve noticed using the latest version of VMware usually slowed my computer down so I’ve stuck with VMware 9 for the past 3 going on 4 years of scambaiting. It really doesn’t matter what version of Windows you choose to use, as long as it isn’t something obsolete obviously and you have snapshots beforehand. I had the same issue with it being slow, I still do sometimes. One thing that helps is having the VM files on another Hard Drive/SSD. I do think that Virtualbox is faster and is easier to use (also free) however, there is more information in the scambaiting community about disguising VMware making it look less like a VM to scammers. (Links to that videos/info below) Also, note that you need the paid version of VMware to have snapshots, VMPlayer doesn’t have that feature. Obviously, there are ways around this but I’m not going to post that here (I also discourage others from doing so too, you’ll most likely be banned for doing so.)

Info about disguising VMware:
How to make a VMware Virtual Machine match host system info (One of the easiest things to do, a video I made a few years ago)
[Tutorial] How to make a stealthy Virtual Machine - YouTube (Little more advanced changes by Jim Browning)

Final note, don’t be discouraged if your first few calls don’t go as planned, it takes time, practice and patience. Hope this helps! Happy Scambaiting!

-Dev

1 Like