What might be preventing my VBox from changing the System name?


I just installed VirtualBox and am trying to make it stealthy. I type the command from the manual:

VBoxManage setextradata “VM name”
“VBoxInternal/Devices/pcbios/0/Config/DmiBIOSVendor” “Dell”


VBoxManage setextradata “VM name”
“VBoxInternal/Devices/pcbios/0/Config/DmiSystemVendor” “Dell”

The command prompt returns and shows no errors but when I list MSINFO32, it still shows “Virtualbox”. Is there something inherent in Virtual box that I cannot make any changes. I am running Windows 10 and the latest version of Virtual box on a Dell Studio 1747.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks

I actually had a similar problem when it came to typing directly from the command line so I just used this program to do it and it worked for me :upside_down_face:

Thank you very much. I tried that program initially and I got the following error:

VBoxManage.exe: The machine is not mutable (state is unsaved)
VBoxManage.exe: Details: code VBOX_E_INVALID_VM_STATE …
blah … blah … blah

Then it goes on to say that it is applying the System , BIOS, and MotherBoard information and then it says “Complete”

But when I look, there were no changes made. Obviously, the “not mutable” line is key, so if there is some way to get around that I would appreciate it.

If anyone has any ideas, please help. Thank you

:thinking: That’s strange, were you trying to run it while your VM was open? If so that could be why the state is unsaved.

1 Like

I think sk is right. That can sometimes cause problems. I’ve not encountered this problem and I’m having trouble recreating it, so I’m not entirely sure. Have you tried the code that was posted sometime ago here?

Yes, I ran the code while the VM (as well as the HOST machine) was not running. Unknown, which code was “posted sometime ago here”. I am new to this forum and did some searching. I did run across the code that SK advised and have been trying to use that. There may be a command in the scrip file that is causing the issue. I will try to see if I can get to the source code and manually execute each command line by line.

If you have any ideas though, please let me know. Thank you

Sorry I should have linked that.

OK guys. Thanks for your help. I finally got it to a state that is workable. I still don’t know what is wrong, since I get the “not mutable” error. However, I deleted the old image and made a new one. The first time I ran the batch program, it made the change. I then ran it again to fine tune the name and it reverted back the the VBox settings (no I did not run ResetVM). I ran it a few more times and I got other errors but one of those times must have worked because it is now showing the new names.

I couldn’t tell you what I was or not doing wrong but at this point I am going forward rather than spend time trying to figure out why.

Anyway thank you for your help